span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Doing eBay Bigger, Better, Faster

“Always been a sort of an entrepreneur,”. “In college, at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, I had a T-shirt business. That’s how I paid for college. I had a coupon business for a while.

I have owned several types of entities some worked, and some didn’t.” eBay definitely seems to be working for Harmon. Since he first bought a purse as a Christmas present for his wife on eBay in 2002, he has managed to build up, in less than three years, a feedback rating of more than 58,000. To build up that many sales and positive feedbacks that quickly, he has managed to sell an average of 52 items every day. At any time, he has as many as 381,000 items for sale in his eBay Store. How did he ramp up so quickly, and how does he keep his sales level constant? He passes on some of his tips and best practices in the sections that follow.

“I got started on eBay because I didn’t want to pay full price for an expensive purse for my wife for Christmas 2002,” Harmon recalls. “I joined up, and I found a really nice purse for two-thirds the price it would cost in a store. I thought ‘Huh, that’s interesting. Maybe there’s something to eBay.’ So I sold some things out of my closet, to see how the e-mails work and how My eBay works.”

So far, the story is probably one you are familiar with. You start out selling your own possessions, and you move on by finding merchandise to sell in bulk. What’s special about Kevin Harmon’s story? One thing is that he decided to sell something that’s in high demand. Another is that he wasn’t reluctant to find as many items as he possibly could.

“You Need a Solid Breadth of Product to Sell Well on eBay”
“Once I got the hang of selling, I looked for things I knew well enough that I could resell them. I am a movie buff, so I decided to try to find DVD and VHS movies. I went to local flea markets, buying stuff I thought I could resell DVDs, wacky stuff. That got me off the ground. There are 15 flea Business name Inflatable Madness LLC Seller name Kevin Harmon


Sells DVDs, CDs, Xbox games, PS2 games, Gamecube games, tools markets within 15 miles of Charlotte, North Carolina, so that kept me going for a while. But I needed to find larger suppliers and variety. That’s the problem with eBay: It’s two miles wide and two inches deep. You need a solid breadth of product to sell well on eBay. There are at least 45,000 DVDs and 200,000 CDs, so I knew there were lots to sell, if I could find them. I started a big search and scoured the Internet to find suppliers.”

Another secret to success: the realization that people don’t like to click on link after link on eBay when they’re shopping. They want to find a single store that has thousands of different items for sale rather than going through thousands of stores, each with a handful of items. As you can see from his eBay Store which has the easy to remember name Inflatable Madness LLC he carries as many as 38,000 DVDs and around 100,000 CDs